Thursday, April 9, 2009

Birre con pizza?


Our Italian teacher gave us a lesson in beverage etiquette in our class on Wednesday. So, contrary to common perception, Italian's don't drink wine with pizza, that's right folks no wine with pizza. Italian's drink beer with pizza. Our teacher said it even took her a while to convince her Norwegian husband of the fact. Apparently if you walk past a pizzeria and see people drinking wine with pizza then they are not Italian. So, beer with pizza, and sometimes with red meat. Wine with everything else right? Yes, sure...but only white wine with fish. Oh, and don't go drinking a cappuccino after breakfast...tourist...

Back to my limoncello!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I am an Italian fellow in the United States. I got here after a four-year PhD course in Trieste, where I became friends with Sam Leach, who linked your blog on Facebook.
    Since this post of yours concerns dining habits in Italy,
    I would like to make a counter point about dining habits in the US, specifically dining habits on Metro trains.
    In general, the Americans do not have a particular place where they enjoy staying when eating, a place that they choose for this activity. It turns out that eating on metro trains is a quite widespread habit around here, but only because it saves time, I guess. Yesterday morning a woman was sitting in front on me on the Red Line train to Park Street in Boston. She took a greasy bit of bread out of her bag; she had the bit of greasy bread in one hand and a fruit knife in the other. Then the knife suddenly disappeared into the bag and came out with a thick layer of butter on it. She spread the butter on the piece of bread and started chewing, looking through me and out of the window.
    Alfredo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that does sound pretty gross, I think a cappuccino and a pastry in a bar is a much more civilised way to breakfast. When I was reading some info on Italian trains one person advised bringing your own food and wine on long train rides because it is expensive to buy on the train. I thought it was great that they specifically said to bring wine.

    ReplyDelete